Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU) is a conventional academic institution whose vision seeks to keep aflame the pursuit of Knowledge, Excellence and the spirit of enquiry. AKSU also offers opportunities for Learning and Leadership, Service and Self-actualization to all mankind, towards a Peaceful, Humane, Prosperous and just Society.

Friday, August 4, 2017

Aged 41, Wladimir Klitschko (Ph.D) bows out of Boxing

Wladimir Klitschko, one of the longest-reigning heavyweight champions in boxing history has announced his retirement from Boxing, ending a 21-year professional career in which he competed in more heavyweight title bouts than anyone. 

Klitschko's bout on April 29 2017 before a crowd of 90,000 at sold-out Wembley Stadium in London, was his 29th heavyweight title fight appearance - 2 more than the legendary Joe Louis - and it was a battle against England's Anthony Joshua, who had once sparred with Klitschko but against whom he now was defending his title.

It was a rousing, dramatic fight of the year contender in which both fighters got knocked down and showed enormous grit. But Klitschko, 41, went down 3 times overall and was stopped in the 11th round.

"I deliberately took a few weeks to make my decision, to make sure I had enough distance from the fight at Wembley Stadium. As an amateur and a professional boxer, I have achieved everything I dreamed of, and now I want to start my second career after sports. I would have never imagined that I would have such a long and incredibly successful boxing career. I'm very thankful for this. Thanks to everyone who has always supported me especially my family, my team and my many fans."


Klitschko, who is from Ukraine, became a star in Germany, where his fights were spectacles in sold-out soccer stadiums across the country. He also spends considerable time in the United States, where he and his longtime fiancée, the actress Hayden Panettiere, are raising a toddler daughter. He walks away from the ring on his own terms as one of the most decorated fighters in history. He won the Olympic super heavyweight gold medal as an amateur in 1996, was a two-time world champion as a professional and earned hundreds of millions of dollars.

"27 years ago, I started my journey in sports, and it was the best choice of a profession I could have ever picked," Klitschko said. "Because of this choice, I've travelled the world, learned new languages, created businesses, built intellectual properties, helped people in need."

"I was and am still capable of doing all this because of the global appeal of the sport of boxing, my own talent, and most importantly because of you, my loyal fans. At some point in our lives, we need to, or just want to, switch our careers and get ourselves ready for the next chapter and chart our course toward fresh challenges. Obviously I am not an exception to this, and now it's my turn."

Wladimir Klitschko among other things, holds a Ph.D in Sports Science. As an adjunct professor , he lectures Masters degree students at University of St. Gallen in Switzerland in a course titled "Challenge Management".

No comments :

Post a Comment