Hillary Clinton formally accepted the Democratic Party’s nomination for president Thursday night, delivering a speech in which she said that the nation is in a “moment of reckoning” and aggressively cast Republican nominee Donald Trump as a divisive figure stoking fear across the country.
“He wants to divide us from the rest of the world, and from each other,” Clinton said. “He’s betting that the perils of today’s world will blind us to its unlimited promise.”
Clinton said Trump has “taken the Republican Party a long way -- from ‘Morning in America’ to ‘Midnight in America,’” nodding to a famous Ronald Reagan ad campaign. “He wants us to fear the future and fear each other,” said Clinton.
Speaking as the first woman nominated for president by a major party, Clinton, the former Secretary of State, is giving the highest-profile address of her decades-long political career. “Standing here as my mother’s daughter, and my daughter’s mother, I’m so happy this day has come,” she said. Clinton added: “When any barrier falls in America, for anyone, it clears the way for everyone.”
Clinton stood defiantly against one of Trump’s signature proposals: a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border. “We will not build a wall,” she declared. “Instead we will build an economy where everyone who wants a good job can get one.”
Seven (7) Major take-out from Hillary Clinton's Speech:
1. "Bernie, your campaign inspired millions of Americans, particularly the young people who threw their hearts and souls in our primary. You've put economic social justice issues front and center, where they belong. And to all of your supporters here and around the country, I want you to know: I heard you. Your cause is our cause."
2. "America is once again at a moment of reckoning. Powerful forces are threatening to pull us apart. Bonds of trust and respect are fraying. And just as with our founders there are no guarantees. It's truly is up to us. We have to decide whether we're going to work together so we can all rise together."
3. "Don't believe anyone who says, 'I alone can fix it.' ... Really? Isn't (Donald Trump) forgetting troops on the front lines? Police officers who run toward danger? Doctors and nurses who care for us? Teachers who change lives? Entrepreneurs who see possibilities in every problem? Mothers who lost children to violence and are building a movement to keep other kids safe? He's forgetting every last one of us. Americans don't say, 'I alone can fix it.' We say, 'We'll fix it together.'"
4. "I'm not here to take away your guns. I just don't want you to be shot by someone who shouldn't have a gun in the first place."
5. "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons."
6. "When there are no ceilings, the sky's the limit."
7. "More than a few times, I've had to pick myself up and get back in the game."